Monday, June 11, 2012

#49 on the list

So I took the sticker off of Debbie's cards she gave us. (Ask Debbie for a card if you didn't get one.  It is  "50 Ways to find the joy of scripture study.")   And #49 said "Adopt a new attitude about the scriptures."  I thought - "that is interesting".  But the more I thought about it, the more it stuck in my brain.  I started thinking about the many times we need to just "adopt a new attitude" and decided I needed to do a short post about it.  One idea might be that if you are unsure that they are true then you start thinking they are true as you read and then you will find that the Holy Ghost will manifest the truth to you.  I can hear Stephanie's words that this is all a part of the secret - and I think she is right. 

I have always held a belief that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and so I wondered what my "new attitude" might be.  I know as I read the scriptures after I thought about that, there were things that came to my mind that brought greater clarity to things in my life.  I don't know if I can express it in words.  I think it just goes to the idea that if you are thinking about something specific then those things are brought to light. 

I really think that the quote that Stephanie brought up is even more important as we think about our "new attitude".  In this case it is those unanswered prayers that seem to elude us.  Here is the quote from the Ensign. 

Acting When No Sure Answer Comes

There will be some instances when no sure answer comes. We have a series of revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants in which the Lord tells the early missionaries of this dispensation that some matters were to be left to their discretion. The phrase that is often repeated is “it mattereth not unto me” (D&C 60:5; 61:22; 62:5).
President Brigham Young explained this doctrine: “If I do not know the will of my Father, and what he requires of me in a certain transaction, if I ask him to give me wisdom concerning any requirement in life or in regard to my own course, or that of my friends, my family, my children, or those that I preside over, and get no answer from him, and then do the very best that my judgment will teach me, he is bound to own and honor that transaction, and he will do so to all intents and purposes.”2


For the whole reference here is the link:

So maybe we need to approach the scriptures, life and the gospel with a new attitude and see where it takes us.  I hope you find this interesting and don't think I have gone off the deep end.

We will be reading Jacob 1 coming up this Thursday.  See you then.

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I just sent it to my husband and hopefully it will guide us while we are trying to make big decisions in our lives, and hopefully we can approach those decisions with a new and improved attitude. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete

How did you feel about this week's reading? Please let us know your thoughts here!